Discrimination - It happened to me

We believe unlawful discrimination is never okay.
Discrimination occurs when an individual or a group of people are treated less favourably than others based on a protected characteristic such as age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership (in employment), pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief (including lack of belief), sex or gender, sexual orientation.  
Unlawful discrimination is contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University's Dignity at Work and Study Code of Conduct Policy.
  • What is discrimination? It might be useful to think about what constitutes unlawful discrimination.

  • To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • A Student Welfare Advisor or HR Partner can to talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.

  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University against a student or a member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.

Get Support 
  • Find out what support is available if you think you have been discriminated against. For students:  Contact Student Welfare via Student Hub or telephone: 0208 231 2213
  • For staff: Contact the HR department and your HR partner
Mental Health and Wellbeing
  • 1 in 4 people is affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people has contemplated suicide or self-harm.
  • Find out more about the support available for mental health and wellbeing
  • Take care of yourself. It’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Student Welfare team offers confidential help.  Staff can contact the EAP service 0800 030 5182 or www.healthassuredeap.com


There are two ways you can tell us what happened